Wednesday 5 January 2011

Introduction

I have been writing a blog post for TCN and thought it would be a good idea to give it its own space so that I could share photos and oher blogs I occasionally write for online mags upon request.

Below is the first blog I wrote for TCN outlining why I would be writing!

When Ryan asked me to manage the Equality and Diversity community here at TCN I jumped at the chance to be part of a new and exciting social networking tool, especially one that sees improving diversity as an important step forward for our magnificent industry.

When we talked about this group we decided that we wanted to create a place where people could find practical, experienced and factual advice relevant to equality and diversity in the UK construction industry, which is why I shall be writing a monthly blog exploring some of the barriers, issues and providing solutions!

On that note I should really introduce myself, my name is Chrissi McCarthy and I’m the director of Constructing Equality the UKs leading construction specific consultancy and training provider. I spent over ten years working in construction mainly as a site manager before deciding to turn my attention to equality and diversity in the industry.

Of course Equality and diversity is a broad area encompassing many subjects such as law, community engagement and change management to name a few. So I would agree with anyone who said simply being a female ex site manager is not qualification enough!

In fact that’s the reason why I undertook my MA in promoting Equality and managing diversity to ensure that I had an in-depth understanding of both the construction industry and the diversity sector. If you want to know more you can find out all about me at http://www.constructingequality.co.uk/about-us/founder

Each blog will be posted in the first week of the month and the topics I will cover in the next 6 months are

Nov – The current make up of the UK construction industry in terms of diversity
Dec – The different cases for diversity, business, legal, social and wider economic
Jan – Is diversity beneficial to business – the proof behind the business case
Feb – What is the equality act?
March – What is positive action and how can I use it?
April – How to improve diversity in your organisation.

The blogs/discussions will rely on case studies, academic research, testimonies, experience and current practice to provide you with relevant and useful information.

Feel free to join tCn's equality & diversity community to add you comments, experiences and general musings to the discussion board its always great to find out about how other people perceive the industry, after all we can’t talk for everyone!

I hope you enjoy the blogs and find them useful, If there is an area you would like us to cover please let us know and we will schedule it in and if you want to get in touch with me directly either contact me on here or send an email to Chrissi@constructingequality.co.uk

You can also sign up to our free monthly newsletter which aims to keep you informed about equality and diversity news in the sector go to http://www.constructingequality.co.uk/faq-s/subscribe

No comments:

Post a Comment